Unless specifically stated otherwise, the following definitions will apply throughout this booklet.
Allowed amount means as determined by GSC:
- Drugs – the GSC National Pricing Policy and/or the reasonable and customary charge;
- Extended Health Services – the reasonable and customary charge for the service or supply but not more than the prevailing charge in the area in which the charge is made for a like service or supply;
- Dental – the fee guide as specified in the Schedule of Benefits.
Calendar year means the 12 consecutive months January 1st to December 31st of each year.
Co-pay is the eligible allowed amount that must be paid by you or your dependent before reimbursement of an expense will be made.
Covered person means the plan member who has been enrolled in the plan and/or his or her enrolled dependents.
Custom made boots or shoes means footwear used by an individual whose condition cannot be accommodated by existing footwear products. The fabrication of the footwear involves making a unique cast of the covered person’s feet and the use of 100% raw materials. (This footwear is used to accommodate the bony and structural abnormalities of the feet and lower legs resulting from trauma, disease or congenital deformities).
Custom made foot orthotics means a device made from a 3-dimensional model of an individual’s foot and made from raw materials. (These devices are used to relieve foot pain related to biomechanical misalignment to the feet and lower limbs.)
Deductible is the amount that must be paid by or on behalf of you and your dependent in any year, based on first paid claim, before reimbursement of an eligible expense will be made.
- your spouse, if you are legally married or if not legally married, you have lived in a common-law relationship for more than 12 continuous months. Only one spouse will be considered at any time as being covered under the group contract;
- your unmarried child under age 21;
- your unmarried child under age 25, if enrolled and in full-time attendance at an accredited college, university or educational institute;
- your unmarried child (regardless of age) who became totally disabled while eligible under b) or c) above, and has been continuously so disabled since that time and is considered a dependent as defined under the Income Tax Act, also qualify as a dependent.
Your child (your or your spouse’s natural, legally adopted or stepchildren) must reside with you in a parent-child relationship or be dependent upon you (or both) and not regularly employed.
Children who are in full-time attendance at an accredited school do not have to reside with you or attend school in your province. If the school is in another province, you must apply to your provincial health insurance plan for an extension of coverage to ensure your child continues to be covered under a provincial health insurance plan.
Fee guide means the list of dental procedure codes developed by and maintained by the Canadian Dental Association, adopted by the provincial or territorial dental association of the province or territory in which the service is provided (or your province of residence if any dental service is provided outside Canada) and in effect at the time the service is provided.
First paid claim means the actual date of service of the initial or a prior claim paid by GSC.
Injury means an unexpected or unforeseen event that occurs as a direct result of a violent, sudden and unexpected action from an outside source.
Orthopedic shoes means off-the-shelf, ready-made footwear prescribed for covered persons diagnosed with a specific medical condition that affects their feet and who require specialized footwear to treat their condition and assist with mobility. The footwear may be modified or adjusted to fit the covered person’s feet.
Plan member means you, when you are enrolled for coverage.
Reasonable and customary means in the opinion of GSC, the usual charge of the provider for the service or supply, in the absence of insurance, but not more than the prevailing charge in the area for a like service or supply.
Rendered amount means the amount charged by a provider for a service and submitted for payment of a claim.
Semi-private room for hospital accommodation means a room having only two treatment beds